In 2002, Parish Councillors and residents of Ickleford celebrated the return of an original water pump to the village, as a reminder of it’s past. This was all made possible by Mr David Marsh of Standalone Farm, who made us aware that he was in possession of the pump.
The Parish Council cosmetically refurbished the pump and permanently re-sited it on the Village Green at a total cost of £2,300; funded by an “Awards for All” National Lottery Grant and a contribution from the Hitchin Historical Society.
The pump was produced between 1875 – 1900 by the Coalbrookdale Company of Ironbridge, who were the manufacturers of the first Iron Bridge. Research suggests that the pump was used at Hopkins the local wheelwrights between 1900 – 1930 to cool down the metal tyres applied to the outer rims of cartwheels. Hopkins was sited at the now residential estate now known as Duncots Close. The water pump, whilst still functional, will not be connected to a water supply on the Village Green.